[TCML] HV-VF generator for TIG welding

Hello,

My question has to do with coil winding, but is out of the normal realm of this group.

I am building a HF/HV generator to initiate a spark for TIG welding/ plasma welding. In TIG welding, there is a tungsten electrode and the work-piece with current flowing in DC or AC, and different polarity depending on the work being done. To initiate the arc, the most used method is to couple HF/HV onto the working current, the arc providing the initial ionization path for the working current to follow. The arc can be set-up to be continuous or until current flow is detected. The HV part comes from a 12kV sign transformer, a series spark gap, and a couple of door knobs and resistors. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me? I had a thought about coupling the HF into the power cable. Usually, they are coupled by winding one on the other together with a ferrite core. What would happen to place the HV cable inside a copper tube with cross section rated for the welding current, essentially so they are coaxial, and then bend the tubing (with the HV cable inside the tube) into the coil form? I know, probably unnecessary overkill. Would this work?

Thank you.

JP