From: bartb [mailto:bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 December 2008 23:51
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Oscilloscope Tuning

Hi Phil,

Good job with tuning procedures. I personally have not performed
Antonio's tuning method. I really liked the fact that you looked at
streamer loading (it is significant). Note, programs today are not
looking at streamer loading. Thus, as you can imagine, coils are built
to spec, but when streamer loading comes into play (or other external
C), an extra primary turn or so comes in handy (on some coils more than
others). For your coil, to tune to this streamer load, you would need to
increase L1 a little. This is completely normal.

Someday, we will accommodate streamers loads at least to a common
streamer load factor as based on predicted spark length.

Your pic showed 2.4 divisions at 0.2ms? So, 2.083kHz. You should be able
to set the time base on the scope to spread out the "rise and ring
down". It doesn't take a modern scope to do this kind of measurement.
Almost anything will do fine.

Take care,
Bart

Phil Tuck wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have just tried a method of tuning the coil using a 'scope and signal
> genny, that was suggested in the archives by Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
.

>  I had already tuned it in the 'normal' fashion of injecting a signal in
the
> base of the secondary and hanging the probe close by. The secondary &
toroid
> were  mounted in their usual place but the SG was left open circuit  to
> avoid the primary LC affecting things.  I also tried it with the
> secondary/toroid well away from the primary just to 'be safe' and the
result
> looked on the scope to be the same.
>
>  I do not have a frequency counter so I get the resonant peak on the
scope,
> and then connect the scope across the signal genny to get a truer result
of
> the frequency rather than reading the [rather course] dial. So small
> differences won't show as the scope's 'eyeball' resolution is limited to
> around 0.1 divisions.
>
> I had also hung a piece of wire to the toroid  to simulate a streamer.
[The