RE: [TCML] BRISG Coil

hi
i tried that aproach using standad low power mosfets  it kind of worked but i had absolutely no idea what i was doing it was basicly a dc resonant charging setup using the mosfet for the gap sounds like what youve got  mine kept blowing up i was using 1500v mosfet out of a tv but it got very hot at 50v and blew up afer a while  could i bother you for some schematics to look at to see where i was going wrong as much as you have if you dont mind  im a little in the dark why i couldnt get it any better
thanks
earl> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:49:20 +0100> From: f-h@xxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] BRISG Coil> CC: > > Christopher> > Brisg means BRIck SisG tesla coil.> It semed like the obvious thing to do, having worked with OLTC coils > when the SISG came along.> A BRISG has a big power IGBT, I used a CM600, which is insanely > overdriven, pulsing up to 4500amps.> It is a tesla coil taken to the other extreme: low voltage, high tank > capacitance, low tank inductance, solid state "spark gap".> I seem to be only person on earth liking them, -they are not efficient- > but they have one good feature, putting them above the DRSSTC`s: They > don`t blow up too often for no apparent reason.> The Brisg was superseded in short order, by the T-BRISG, my ticket to > fame, or so I thought.> But, frankly, nobody seem to care.> I am still the only guy on earth having a triggered SISG and BRISG, even > though it allows me the luxury of controlled breakrates and pure DC > resonant charging.> > I am sorry about the confusion caused by the title of that video, I have > edited it.> What you see is simply the only coil of it`s kind, making the longest > spark it is capable of.> > Cheers, Finn Hammer> > > Christopher Karr skrev:> > Hello, everyone,> >> > I read about a BRISG coil in a previous post, and 'googled' it. I came up with an old, archived TCML article that referred me to drsstc.com and the 'Piranha' series of Tesla Coils (not sure if it belongs to anybody on-list). I also found a video on youtube that stated that the BRISG coil took the world-record for coil dimensions vs. streamer-length. > > Here's the video - > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK17-CoB7LE> >> > I read the comments, and it turns out the coil belongs to Finn Hammer.> >> > I was wondering what the differences between BRISGs and SISGs are.> >> > Thank you for your time,> > - Christopher> >> > __________________________________> > _______________________________________________> Tesla mailing list> Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla