Re: [TCML] Electrical Engineering Textbook

I can't lay my hands on it right now but there is McGrawHill book Standard
Handbook for Electrical Engineers. That coupled with American Electricians'
Handbook will just about answer any question you may ever have. A quote from the
 index of Electrical Engineer Handbook 'An expert is largely a man who knows
where and how to find the answers'

Al Shumate, Dublin, VA

In a message dated 12/20/2008 8:12:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Anthony  Etersque wrote:
> Can anyone please recommend a good electrical  engineering textbook?
> I've searched online through so many textbook  catalogs, but none seem
> to have a general textbook on EE; they all  seem to be books focused
> on specialized fields. Thank you
>
> Anthony _______________________________________________ Tesla  mailing
> list Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"electrical"  engineering or "electronics"..

For classic electrical engineering (as  in power and machines (aka motors
and generators), I think the best  introductory text out there is by
Wildi.  Not too mind bending or  detailed on the math, it has good
examples, practical details, etc.   If you want a good introduction to
power factor, transmission and  distribution and why motors do what they
do (beyond the physics class  explanations), as well as stuff on
inverters, transformers and  inductors,  and so forth, it's a great text.

For electronics.. a  bit tougher.. I grew up with it (my dad's an EE prof
and had more  textbooks lying around than you can imagine) so I don't
know what a good  introductory text is. The ARRL radio amateur's handbook
has some stuff,  but isn't going to lead you through learning how to bias
a BJT amplifier.  See what your local community college is using as a
text in their intro to  electronics class as a start.  If nothing else,
you'll be able to  pick up a cheap used copy.

Kind of depends, too, on whether you want a  basic theory text
(Kirchoff's laws, circuit theory, etc) or more of a  practically oriented
cookbook, here's how to design and build an  amplifier.

Jim

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.