Re: [TCML] Primary Grounding was [Control Cabinet ...]

I was there when David fried his Hipotronics cap.  I know for a fact that I
saw a streamer hit the primary right before the cap went short.

We also tried running my 6" coil on his Green Monster control panel.  It was
running very well, and fortunately the sucker gap was not overheating.  Of
course it was just above freezing outside, so this is somewhat
unsurprising.  What was surprising was then number of primary strikes my
coil was taking.  I've never had a problem with primary strikes until I ran
it with a grounded primary.  I do not run my coil with the strike rail
grounded, I just leave it floating because the primary will arc to it.  I
ran my 6" coil on Cameron Prince's pole pig this summer and did not have a
single primary strike.  This was not because the streamers could not reach
the primary either.  Cameron's pig has two ears, and neither ear is
grounded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski  I've got some pictures of the run
at David's home, and on the second page there is a video of the run at
Cameron's home.