Re: [TCML] First TC firing

Matt,
Dielectric puncture simply put is when your cap dies because voltage ate a hole in the dielectric (in this case soda bottles.) I am 90% positive that is why your spark gap will not fire, I say this with such confidence because a few months ago I did an experiment with soda bottle caps and found their life expectancy with 2 MOTs (only 4000 V) was about 10 seconds. With two in series they lasted about 30 seconds continuous. If you cannot afford real caps, make some out of glass for now, they do not deserve much of the bad rap they have been given, in OBIT service they have served me for 4 years and never failed (short runs of course, 2 minutes tops.) Once you get your gap working then you can try to fix the tuning. One more thing, put your spark gap parallel to the OBIT, and your cap in series with the primary, this is much better for your transformer. Good luck.

Scott Bogard.

Matt wrote:
Thanks for all feedback, it has been very helpful.

Spark gap does not fire - I've had the gap practically closed and still no
response. I'm pretty sure the wiring is fine - I checked it many times, and
even when I wired it with the caps in parallel with the spark gap on their
own there was still no spark. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a
dielectric puncture - I will have to look it up but I suspect this may be
very likely as the caps were pretty makeshift. As I've said - the spark gap
if definitely not too wide.

The OBIT still works though - I set up a quick jacobs ladder to make sure
and it works fine.

On top of that I do probably need to have done my calculations a lot better.
Will the fact that my wire for the primary is enameled pretty thickly affect
it adversely?

-Matt