Re: [TCML] What's up with Copper Prices?

Greg,

As I see it, part of the problem is that the copper items for sale now was fabricated when prices for new copper and/or scrap were sky high. It will take a while before all the expensive copper products get out of the supply channel, and they start making products with cheaper raw materials again. I suppose if the manufacturers get hungry enough, they might drop prices to increase sales, and eat some of the losses, just as they make windfall profits when the values of their items in inventory rise rapidly. I've seen similar trends when the price of crude oil goes down -- it takes quite a while before gasoline prices at the pump fall proportionally.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season!

Dave

G Hunter wrote:
I visited a London-based financial news site.  It said copper prices have collapsed worldwide.  It's gotten so bad that copper miners are being laid off in droves.  Mines are being mothballed due to reduced demand and low prices.  So how come this hasn't filtered down to our hobby?  Copper magnet wire, THHN hookup wire, copper strap, ribbon, and braid, and copper tubing is still sky high.  When will us starving hobbyist see rational copper prices?  If anyone is in the metals or scrap/salvage trades, electrical trade, or dabbles in commodities trading, please share any insider knowledge.  Impoverished coilers want to know!  This is only tangetially on-topic, so I'll take any replies off-list.

Seasons Greetings!

Gregory R. Hunter