Re: [TCML] Effect of doubling the input current

Hey Phil...

seems as if the previous set up ( power supply) was not fully charging the caps to start with. Now that you have the additional power to charge the caps in the time available, you are getting more joules per bang thus leading to longer streamers. Not knowing what type of spark gap you are using also puts a bit of a damper on properly answering your question... :)

Another thought, you maybe driving the caps into a slight over-voltage situation if you are using an ARSG or if using a static gap set, the BPS have increased due to quicker charge rates.

Scot D

Phil Tuck wrote:

Hello Group.

I have a query over charging currents following an exercise on my coil of
doubling the input current.

I was originally running my old 10k/48 into a 0.02143 uF cap.

However I recently acquired two identical [new] 10K/50 's and tried these in
parallel for 100 ma.

My coil was already 'ball park' tuned for the 48m/a  NST, when I substituted
the two new 50 ma NST's.

I left all other settings on the coil alone (apart from making sure the
safety gap was still appropriately gapped - voltage outputs can vary despite
what the labels say)

I did not expect any really significant difference as it was only the
current that had increased not the voltage, nor my cap size.
The 'Freau' formula of Spark length is 1.7 x SQRT(Bang Energy x BPS). Now
the bang energy [or so I thought] depended on the value of the cap x the
voltage at the gap squared.

As I was still using my original sized CD' MMC caps of  0.02143 uF and not
the recommended size for 10/100 of 0.0477uF,  why did I get such a massive
increase in performance. I would estimate the spark lengths are double to
the 48 ma original NST.

If I had doubled the  current  and also doubled the cap size [necessary to
have charged to them the same level] I could understand why.

Is it that my tuning was less than perfect originally and with the 100ma
NST's it is nearer the mark ?

Phil