Re: [TCML] H/D Question

Hi Shelton,

I should probably comment on my own program here.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

With Javatc, there are values which many can easily have problems understanding. I guess this is true for all programs. For Javatc, likely the biggest issue is outputting 3 inductance values (Les, Ldc, Lee) and three C values (Ces, Cdc, Cee). That can be confusing if you don't understand the differences. For Ldc and Cdc, these are low frequency values that are capable of being measured with an LCR meter. But, these values are not what the L's and C's are when the coil is running. Les and Ces are the real values which consider the coils LC at resonant frequency. Lee and Cee values are simply lumped values to show L and C when all the energy is stored in the top load (useful for showing the peak output potential as described in the spark gap sections of the program). But for "real life" values, Les and Ces are the key. Those values have considered all the objects in the vicinity of the coil. In other words, these are the value which describe L and C at resonance.

I wanted to emphasize these LC details in Javatc as it's often misunderstood by the user.
Take care,
Bart

bartb wrote:
Hi Shelton,

Given the specs, it's difficult for me to say anything other than what is obvious. The turns are low and therefore the inductance is low (sec). The h/d is low, etc.. If you have dimensions of the top load, primary (including inner and outer dia., height above ground, style, relation to secondary, etc..), basically the physical dimensions of both coils as well as top load including at least vertical descriptions of L1 to L2, then maybe some detail can be looked at. The numbers presented are a mesh and not coincidentally relevant to the final case. For example, who cares what the self resonant capacitance is to a coil when it's a value that doesn't consider all the other objects around the coil? As soon as other objects surround the coil (physical environment, top load, primary, strike ring, or whatever), the self resonant frequency no longer has meaning and doesn't even physically exist.

The problem I have is that there are many irrelevant values intertwined. The final system values are what is real. If you can, explain your dimensions (the more detailed, the better) and then we can run a better analysis (we don't need outputs, only really good inputs). We all have our different methods to analysis (programs like Javatc, Excel, etc.). It's the inputs which matter.

Given what you've shown, I see an NST problem using a resonant cap size, a spark issue using low h/'d, and a top potential problem with low inductance. But I would really like to see input values more detailed for a better analysis.

Take care,
Bart

H.S. J. wrote:
On a smaller lower powered coil (4", 15kv, 30ma) is it necessary to keep that 1:4/1:5 H/D ratio? I designed one thats had a H/D of 1:2.75. Would I be running into any issues?

Plans are as follows:

Secondary Coil DesignDiameter of secondary coil : 101.60mm (4")
Winding height of secondary coil : 279.40mm (11")
Wire diameter for secondary coil : 0.6452mm (22AWG)
Spacing between windings : 0.00mm
Secondary turns : 433.00
Secondary wire length : 138.22m
Secondary inductance : 5.86mH
Approximate resonant frequency : 830.59kHz
Secondary quarter wavelength resonant frequency : 542.61kHz
Secondary self capacitance : 6.27pF
Toroid capacitance required to form quarter wavelength coil : 8.42pFPrimary Coil DesignPrimary capacitance : 0.0053uF
Primary resonant frequency : 542.61kHz
Secondary coil diameter : 101.60mm (4")
Primary conductor diameter : 3.26mm (8AWG)
Primary turn to turn spacing : 12.70mm (.5")
Spacing between the secondary and the inside turn of the primary : 50.80mm (2") The primary will need to be tapped between turn 6 and turn 7 to form a resonant circuit at 542.61kHz
The approximate inductance at each turn is : Turn 1 0.49uH
Turn 2 1.77uH
Turn 3 3.75uH
Turn 4 6.45uH
Turn 5 9.88uH
Turn 6 14.10uH
Turn 7 19.17uH
Turn 8 25.13uH
Turn 9 32.06uH
Turn 10 40.00uH
Turn 11 49.02uH
Turn 12 59.18uH
Turn 13 70.55uH
Turn 14 83.19uH
Turn 15 97.15uHNeon Transformer / Primary Capacitor MatchingTransformer secondary voltage : 15.00kV
Transformer secondary current : 30.00mA
Number of transformers : 1
Primary capacitor required to form a resonant circuit at 60Hz with neon transformer(s) : 0.0053uF --
Thanks,