Tesla Application History. Re: [TCML] Life Magazine historic photo archive

>> I believe that is actually an enclosed Van de Graaf
>> generator. That does look like a primary coil that
>> the technician is standing on, though doesn't it?
    if i was unclear earlier:
     concur the belt indicates VdG and puzzlement
     about 'spirals' at base.

    Equipotential rings, sometimes, function by corona:
     the name 'corona ring' is encountered.

   Meanwhile, back to Tesla Coils & Accelerators:
    HV Laboratory Technique
    Craggs & Meek
    ca 1954

   devotes 5 or 6 pp to Tesla Coils, winding up with, roughly:
     One of the few detailed descriptions of High Voltage
     Tesla Coils is due to BREIT, TUVE & DAHL
       Physics Review 35
       1930
       P 51.
     At that time the possibility of using Tesla Coils for
     accelerating nuclear particles was bing actively explored
     in several countries.  The present work...a Tesla
     transformer, oil immersed, developing 5 MV.  Other
     details in the paper [as above] with full details of
     running and details encountered.

    (my informal summary of accompanying schematic:
      220/60 to 70,000/60
      Mechanical rectifier (!!)
      condenser
      spark gap
     (into the tank...500psi...)
      balanced Tesla primary/secondary)

   NO mention is made of how the output was to be rectified.
    [Self rectifying in the beam tube, as in microwave oven??]

   It might be instructive, to track down that original paper.
   (Surely in a library, possibly on the web?)
   If memory serves TUVE was one of the names involved in the
   VdG I recalled at the Smithsonian...

   best
    dwp