Re: [TCML] pole pig ballasting

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] pole pig ballasting

Hi Jon,

I'm looking at two Thunderbolt welders for ballasting my 125KV X-ray transformer. One is a clean, older model with the shunt control crank on the top. The other is a newer Thunderbolt XL with the shunt control crank on the lower front. Any preference as to which one I should go for?

Just how is the xfmr designed to allow a variable gap for current control?

Thank you,
Bob Arenella

Buy an 240VAC arc welder on Craigslist; around here they go for between $50.00 and $100.00. If you get a Miller (Thunderbolt), it has an infinitely adjustable shunt, whereas the Lincoln ("tombstone") units just have different taps; you might find a Montgomery Wards or Century unit; they also work fine, and are often a lot cheaper due to not being a "brand" name. The bonus is that you also get an arc welder to play around with.

The way you hook it up is to short the "Work" and "Electrode" outputs on the front of the welder, then wire the 220VAC feeding the welder in series with your variac. Adjust the shunt or use a different tap until you get the required current limiting.

Jon