RE: [TCML] Rectifying a Tesla coil

Justin Hays and I rectified a TC about six months ago. Here are the
specs of the coil:

DRSSTC
4" x 16" sec
3" x 12" toroid
73nF tank cap
~180KHz operating frequency
Nominal discharge without diode - 24"

The diode was an array of 50 20KV 20nS Ultra Fast Avalanche rated diodes
(sorry don't remember the P/N). The array was placed in a 1" PVC tube
filled with mineral oil. The tube was suspended by a nylon cord from the
rafters in the shop. One end was connected to the coils 3" x 12" toroid
and the other (positive) end was connected to a 6" x 24" toroid.

Upon applying power the coil would be briefly loaded than break out as
normal. First I found this odd but it makes sense; the coil was unloaded
after charging the larger toroid. The DC arc was about 8-10" long to a
1.5" x 6" toroid connoted to ground through a 6M resistor. It would
charge EVERYTHING in the vicinity.

After power was shut off the pipe covering the diodes as well as the 6"
x 24" toroid would remain charged until grounded out. We were able to
experiment with the device for a total run time of about 10min before
the diode failed. We believe this was do to unequal voltage distribution
along the string, most likely caused by the large capacitance to air of
the tube they were housed in.

We have not duplicated the experiment since but I am confident it is
easily repeatable. I think Justin has some pics of the setup but it
really is as simple as I described it.

Aron