Re: [TCML] Rolling your own toroids

Hi Steve,

No, it's not a problem. The voltage at the top load adequately out performs the glue back of the tape. I've used Al tape on earlier toroids, covering them with several layers even, at least 3 in some cases. No problems at all. I did note your toroid in the video is rather "small". I didn't mention it as the question was srsg based, but the coil could do with an upgrade in the toroid arena. For the toroid, remember that 200kV to 500kV is normal. The tape adhesion backing won't stop it. It will perform nearly as well as a nice spun toroid (minus the single arc that smooth toroids can produce). Other than that, it should do just fine. It will even measure similarly to a Al spun toroid. The only difference is really the slight ridges that occur. One of my best toroids is not even my spun Aluminum toroid, but rather a toroid which I covered in plaster of Paris with and then covered in Al Foil. The plaster simply was gooped on a corrugated aluminum tube and then sanded smooth. Al foil was used for a smooth finish. It's performed flawlessly (and I used simple contact cement for the adhesion).

Here's that particular toroid:
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/ba45.html

These home-brew toroids work just fine. Toroid types are usually not an electrical issue but rather a cosmetic and cost issue.

Take care,
Bart

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
I put together a toroid tonight using some 4" ducting I had laying around, and baking pans. I taped the pieces together using the aluminum tape usually used to seal up ducting. I have a question, surely the adhesive in the tape is an insulator, so if I were to wrap the toroid in this tape it would not be continuous, but isolated areas of conduction.
Is this a problem? Or at high freq/voltage this kind of effect is minimal?

I was thinking about wrapping the whole assembly in heavy duty foil, but again any kind of adhesive used to anchor it could create an insulation effect.

I wondered what the 'correct' approach was?

Steve