Re: [TCML] Terry Filter - adding more MOVs than required

Hi Steve,

Yes, if your running a 12kV NST at 14kV via variac, then add 2 more MOV's to the filter. With MOV's in the circuit, you don't want too few or too many (conducting too often or not at all). For NST's you want equal MOV's per NST side to ground, so obviously 16 MOV's is the next step up (also used for 15kV NST's).

Take care,
Bart

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
Does anyone know that if I populate my Terry Filter with more MOVs than required (ie building a 15KV filter,and running it with a 12KV NST) would this harm the performance in anyway, or reduce the protection?

I have a 12KV NST based system, and installed the correct number of MOVs, but my variac as a 120/140V switch, which I assume runs the NST to 14KV at the 140V position.

Would it be safer to install more MOVs?

Steve