Re: [TCML] SRSG new video - feedback welcome

Steve/Pete,

I forgot to mention in my other email,
but adjusting the phase or building the phase
controller won't help at all if the motor is not
actually running synchronously, which I suspect
it is not.

Actually *if*  the motor is a modified induction motor
which is *capable* of synching, but doesn't have
quite enough power to sync a heavy rotor, some
folks have reported that the use of the electronic
phase controller gave it just enough extra torque
to lock it into sync.  Again if you motor is not actually
a sync motor, this won't work.  An typical induction
motor is not a sync motor.  It needs to be modified
by grinding flats on to the armature to make it
capable of synching.

Of course a tesla coil can run smoothly without
a synch motor, You'd just have to adjust the
speed a little so it doesn't pulse.  But generally
in this case you need a little higher speed, if
you were aiming for 120 or 100 bps.  NST"s run
best with synch motors, not async motors.  At
least they're more *efficient* with sync motors
A higher break rate can be used, but sparks
will be shorter.  But the pulsing sound will be
gone.

John