RE: [TCML] Primary tubing

this thread did get me thinking - has anyone actually experimented with different sized tubing - it seems to me that for a one or two NST coil there would be no reason to go to somethine even as large as 3/8 tubing - there are two issues, the total resistance of the coil and the value of surface effect.  Increasing resistance can slow rise time, but we are talking a fraction of an ohm here and we don't need nanosecond rise times.  And the frequencies of interest are not all that high, so while surface effect is real, it's not dominant.

So, outside of reasons of aesthetics, has anyone actually compared the effect of different diameters of tubing on a coil, with all ohter things staying the same?  (well, ALL other things can't stay the same becuse a larger diameter tubing with a constant inter winding spacing will result in a larger diameter primary, but you get the idea) - are we just overdesigning here for beauty, or is there a real effect to be demonstrated?  Wny not use plain #10 house wiring - I recall when the consensus changed to using tubing, but I don't recall any actual measurements to prove that the change ITSELF was feneficial.