Re: Re: [TCML] Non-DR SSTC primary - interesting facts

Thanks, will have a closer look at them then! Now on Ixys fets btw - found them for 50 roubles (~$2) each, and they feel damn good - with full body diode bypass and bipolar direct drive they merely make any heat and never blow (funny btw - it had a few sequencial strikes from terminal into it's own primary - and survived :) ) which feels pretty good for the present state of the device - the sparks are forked and bright.

As for the primary height I guess I found an explanation - as you make the primary not as long you get a higher inductivity of one and a lower transformation coefficient. But - the resonator section gets bigger, thus you get a higher capacity and therefore need lower voltage to get energy flowing into one! Therefore you get only a minor power drop, especially keeping in mind the fact that the main role in the energy transfer is played by the top turns of the primary! So it seems like the main role is played by positioning the primary coil's top turn, but not the bottom one!