RE: [TCML] Kinraide Coil Reproduction - Near Completion. Near exhausted.

Greg,

I guess I shouldn't mention I am throwing away a comforter-sized sheet of asbestos that would have probably killed me by the time I found a use for it.  I should take some pictures of my crude workshop, its really awful and unorganised...like me.  The museum and workshop are in a cottage out back, only 500 square feet or so but I'm grateful to have it.  Before, we lived in a townhouse, and I had a lathe in the spare bedroom.  Rita wanted to shoot me.   I have only crude tools at the house, mainly a harbor freight lathe, induction stoves for melting wax, improvised coil winders, arbor presses, ancient hand tools, and useless hoardings (like a 25 pound crate of allen keys, and I still can't find the one I'm looking for)...a tool box with mica, small pieces of asbestos plate here and there, fire brick, hard rubber, lead foil, bakelite, tungsten disks, and the odd hundred pounds of wax slabs.  The neighbours just bought me 25 wax toilet rings for my birthday, to be used for insulation, so they are somewhere in there too.

The valuable pieces are in our main house (hundreds of [formerly decaying] glass negatives, thousands of 1920s blueprints, and shelves of old books and X-Ray tubes.  I take care of these better than myself.  Well, there are also two of the greatest cats and bulldog on earth.  And wife, I should have mentioned her first!

My Dad, who is an avid restorer of Violins and AK-47s (imagine that combo, a Pilsner Urquell ad in progress), has a normal modern house and garage that I also use.  It has 2 milling machines, an Enco, and a NOS (really, still has the original scrapping marks) Bridgeport, 1940s 11x36 Sheldon Lathe, and larger Enco engine lathe.  There is also a bronze casting foundry that my grandfather built, currently not setup, though I am bugging him monthly that we should set it up and cast copper finned quenched spark gaps...  horizontal band saw, variable speed floor model drill press, belt sander, diamond grinder for carbide, small hydraulic press.  There is also my Mom, an ex-race horse, an australian sheppard, and donkey (named Mary).  (Lunacy runs in the family).

I've been banned from hoarding raw materials at my parents house, because of former stashings of 500 feet of 10.75" OD PVC pipe, and a 76 pound flask of mercury (as a teenager, that I will never live down).  I wanted to build a vacuum pump to make Geissler tubes and wind Tesla Coils even then...still not an ounce of logic in sight!

Oh well...it is really fun.

Jeff> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:38:06 -0800> From: lod@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] Kinraide Coil Reproduction - Near Completion. Near exhausted.> CC: > > Hi Jeff,> > Truly impressive workmanship! Using the original materials is > particularly impressive. Your workshop must seem like a time-warp to > the Age of Electricity of the early 1900's. GL> > > Jeff Behary wrote:> > > Message: 9> > Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:05:58 -0400> > From: Jeff Behary <electrotherapy@xxxxxxxxxxx>> > Subject: [TCML] Kinraide Coil Reproduction - Near Completion. Near> > exhausted.> > To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>> > Message-ID: <BLU132-W30CD506210E34876905129CA6B0@xxxxxxx>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"> > > > > > Hey All,> > > > The Beeswax/Rosin/Silk/Cotton/Copper/Bondo/Brass/Bakelite/Brazilian Cherry experiments are coming to a close, finally. Just the polishing bits left, staining, lacquering, and hard rubber posts to add for X-Ray tube connections, and insulating handles. > > > > Coils, with revolving/sliding discharging posts mounted:> > http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/20August08/index.htm> > > > Testing spark capacity at various currents. 12" Sparks between ball terminals.> > http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/KinraideCoilNearingCompletion/index.htm> > > > Crude YouTube of testing using a variac. Note the sound differences in the sparks as the voltage rises...> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3bWPyJaZdA> > > > Some original ads for Kinraide machines:> > http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/KinraideAds/KinraideAds.htm> > > > The spark gap will have some additional posts for external spark gaps/interrupters of other kinds. These will produce much different spark variations (pseudo-static, etc...).> > > > Current spark gap is here:> > http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/ElectricalSparkGap/index.htm> > This produces long, thin sparks with a lot of effluve innerspaced. > > > _______________________________________________> Tesla mailing list> Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla