Re: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

Hi Ray,

I agree that bleeders should never be relied upon for human safety (and we should all state that better in our postings any time we use the word "safety").

But your reason for bleeders in this application is incorrect. Bleeders for MMC's are there simply to bleed down individual cap charge. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The transformer will naturally bleed the cap bank, but the bleeders help add some probability insurance that each and every cap in the bank is left with no charge. There is the possibility that a bleeder within a cap bank may open at some point, but the charge (should a bleeder open) is small in comparison to what it would be without bleeders. Also, if there was a transformer to bank disconnect or similar electrical failure, those caps could be left fully charged. The bleeders during that type of failure perform the bleed that the transformer would normally perform.

It's low cost insurance to reduce the probability of a nasty or even lethal shock. This statement does not indicate that a coiler is to assume a cap bank is safe to touch simply because bleeders are used. Anyone who does not perform a charge check is taking a risk.

Regards,
Bart

Ray von Postel wrote:

Hi!
I have been following this post with horror expecting to read that some one has relied on the resistors used in an MMC constitute a SAFETY precaution.

THEY ARE THERE TO PROTECT THE CAPACITORS AND NOT THE PERSONNEL WHO WORK ON THE EQUIPMENT!!!!!!

The reason for the series parallel connection of capacitors as is done in an MMC is 1. A cheap way of getting a capacitor with a high enough working voltage.
2.  To achieve a capacitor with the correct capacitance.
<snip>