Re: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

Conor,

Good point,

I'm not sure where you got the idea that shorting capacitors for storage or
shipping was a bad idea; quite contrary! The leads of capacitors and
bushings of large oil filled apparatus such as transformers are normally
always shorted for safety! These devices can accumulate a large and
dangerous charge, which can cause severe burns or electrical shock. Any
unshorted capacitor should be considered LIVE when handling until proven
otherwise! Many years ago I got blasted by an electrolytic capacitor in a
power supply that had not been energized in three months! (The power supply
did not have bleeder resistors) Don't let this happen to you! I was
lucky....the charge only went across my fingers. Had the path been across
my heart, I may not be writing this right now. Please be safe...precautions
are there for a reason!

Woo

shorted. Large capacitors are also shipped like this. If this was a bad
practice why would they do it?