RE: [TCML] mmc cap protection by spark-gaps-any ideas?

I would agree with Scott's (Bunnykiller) reply, in that the power used by bleeder resistors isn't terribly significant.  Did you actually compare the spark length with the same cap and everything else, with and without the resistors?

I also didn't follow your point regarding the 10% tolerance and ability to handle voltage spikes.  Do you mean able to handle a higher voltage in general, and is somehow correlated with the tolerance?  Tank caps see 60 Hz activity and tank frequency activity, both to the same peak voltage, but I'm not aware of "spikes" outside of these realms.

Regarding safety gaps across caps, yes, this is a bad idea because it subjects the cap to unhealthy currents should it fire.  The same level of protection can be had by putting the safety gap in parallel with the main gap, instead of across the cap.  There is no way possible that the voltage across the main gap can exceed the voltage seen by the cap, so the protection is identical, except that the discharge current is then safely limited by the primary inductance, rather than directly shorting the cap.  Exactly how bad shorting a charged cap with a safety gap is isn't clear beyond the fact that it violates the current spec of the caps.  What is clear is that it's better not to do that since an equivalent degree of protection is available by putting the safety gap in parallel with the main gap.

Discharging an MMC with a safety wand is not the same as having bleeders across each individual cap.  Discharging an MMC end-to-end without resistors will ensure that the NET voltage is zero, but the charge on the individual caps may or may not each be zero.  You'd have to short each individual cap to guarantee that.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA