[TCML] my Pig Terry Filter

Folks-

    FWIW I added a pic of the Terry Filter I made for  my pig, and some pics
of my control panel:

_http://members.aol.com/fiftyguy/highvoltage.html_
(http://members.aol.com/fiftyguy/highvoltage.html)

    The Terry Filter definitely cured one problem that  I noticed, where the
control cabinet actually "zapped" to my knee a little  during runs. This
seemed like a Very Bad Thing, since the cabinet is  solidly grounded to house
ground at a receptacle directly under the main panel,  which has a typical ground
rod nearby. Furthermore, the pig has a floating  primary and secondary -
neither are connected internally to the case, although  I'm sure the core is.
    I ran a wire from the star-connection point of the  RF ground under the
coil back to the Terry Filter, which bolts to the pig case.  The MOV's are 8.4
kV MCOV distribution arrestors.
    Since I was pushing a lot of current with a pig, I  waned to keep the
resistance down. So I used two 68 Ohm resistors in series in  each leg, one
mounted on the filter itself, the other under the coil.  Consequently, I had to use
a much higher capacitance to maintain a reasonable  cutoff frequency of the
filter. Six caps in each leg, .036 uF 2500 V   (Vishay MMKP 383 series). Nice
pretty blue, and yes, there are resistors mounted  under each one.
    I've only seen the safety gap fire once while  running, just a very small
spark when I pulled in the power contactor to the  pig. But it instantly
extinguished, with no climbing arc. I put the gap closest  to the pig, so the
primary tank caps would have to go through the resistors to  discharge (a little
easier on them, and less likely to power-arc at the safety  gap).
    I also wonder about all the fuss to avoid filter  chokes on the high
voltage side, since wirewound resistors have non-negligible  inductance (>100uH
each according to the manufacturer, and I measure around  70uH each on mine).
    Everything's mounted on backboard made of a couple  sheets of 1/8"
"fishpaper" glued together, with an angle iron support bracket  that also provides
ground connection points. That's over $120 worth of  insulating sheet according
to the Federal Stock Number, but surplus it's only a  buck for a 2'x4' sheet.
Acrylic and Polycarbonate have gone through the roof -  so if I don't need to
see through it or bend it, I'm gonna be using the  fishpaper wherever I can!

        The control cabinet pics  are just to show how much stuff you can
cram in one small box!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

Read reviews on AOL Autos.