Re: [TCML] Looking for feedback

Hey Stephen...

reconsider the math involved

30 R P M X 4 = 120 pulses per minute thats about 60 times too slow you should be running the motor at 1800 RPM with 4 electrodes

A complete A/C sinewave produced in America occurs at 60Hz (thus 120 "peaks" ... 60 up and 60 down) What needs to be accomplished is to have the primary cap completely charged during the period from 0 volts to the peak of the sine wave and then get the electrode to line up and fire releasing the stored energy into the primary coil. This process is repeated on the "down" side of the sine wave again. One must also align the motor or rotor disc to make sure the electrodes are in fact becoming aligned at or approximately near the peak voltage. If the motor/rotor is not aligned properly, only a prtion of the energy will be transfered to the primary coil, thus resulting in minimal performance. There are some previous posts that give exact details on the timing of the rotor electrodes as compared to the charge time and energy transfer into the primary coil.

Scot D

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:

We recently replaced a static spark gap in our coil with a synchronous rotary running at 120bps (30rpm * 4 bangs per turn). You can see a movie of the before and after here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylUg_eGk6I> At the moment the rotary is not delivering the performance we expected. I believe this is due to a sync problem with the 60Hz supply.
Based on the movie I'd be interested to get constructive feedback from more experienced coilers...

Thanks,
Steve