Re: [TCML] Optimizing coil performance

Thanks for the tip DC!

On my little 4" coil I had built it so that the secondary windings started at the same elevation as the secondary coil. Can't say why I did that now, but probably(maybe?) had a
reason at the time.

Anyway, just did some testing by raising the secondary up 3/4" and I could tell the difference right away. With my gap set at 1/4" and the sucker-gap vacuum running about half speed it now chugs along nicely, better than before. I think I'm at the limit of what i can pull from the wall outlet. My meter shows bouncing around 15Amps and I don't have any power factor caps. I guess that and a bigger variac will be my next equipment purchases. I've got a 60Amp 230 drop for my welder that I could tap into. Then I can move all my gear up to a larger coil! Already started collecting parts.

CP8071

----- Original Message ----- From: "DC Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<clip>
With an 8 inch dia sec you need to experiment with sec elevation above the
horizontal pri plane.  Usually around 3.75 to 4 inches with 1.25 pri-sec
spacing works good.  Again, with an 18 inch dia inductor the vertical
spacing works best with 6.75 inches and 9 inches is required for any 24 inch dia sec. I discovered years ago this relationship is a near linear function
both upwards and downwards.  I did a lot of experiments with various size
coils using a large brass ead-screw setup to actually raise the sec up and
down while it was running. I was quite surprised how high the sec needs to
be elevated to achieve maximum spark length.  You can experiment with your
setup using 1/2 - 3/4" chunks of plywood to raise the sec small increments
at a time.
<clip>
Dr. Resonance