[TCML] Optimizing coil performance

Hi all,

I'm getting my Tesla coil up and running again, and I'm revisiting the design trying to improve performance. Currently the coil struggles to get 7-8' arcs with 10kVA input, with the spark gap firing at a capacitor voltage of around 20-24kV. The current specs of the coil are:

Power:    10kVa 14.4kV pole pig, arc welder as variable inductor ballast
Capacitor:   0.136uF 24kV MMC (originally 0.204uF)
Spark gap:   240bps SRSG
Prmary: 3/8" copper tube, 3/8" spacing, 13" ID flat pancake, currently tapped at 6.7 turns
Secondary:    20AWG, 8.5" dia, 48" winding length
Toroid:      8" x 24"
Fres:     ~100kHz

What would you guys recommend changing or upgrading to get better performance? I'm currently thinking of getting a variac to control input power, because the variable inductor affects optimum RSG phasing.

Regards,
David Kronstein