Re: [TCML] motor ballast

Hey Scott...

I've never personally created the "motor ballast" but have read that it can be done theoretically. Instead of running the motor, the rotator(?) (inner moving core section) is held in a position ( but allowed to turn 90 degrees or less with the aide of a lever attached to the output shaft). As far as wiring up the beast, I dont have any idea on how its done. Im going to assume that the stator(?) (outer nonmoving portion) is wired in series with the transformer... by adjusting the rotator ( it probably changes the field flux in the rotator thus changing the current thru the stator). I am also going to assume that a motor of 5 HP or so without brushes is the one to use... Just maybe, the idea can be tested with a smaller motor ( 1/2 HP?) and an NST...

Scot D

Scott Bogard wrote:

Here is a strange question, can you use an induction motor for a ballast? As far as I am aware, applying a load to an induction motor causes it to draw more current, so theoretically putting a variable resistance to the motor output would yield a variable current in the drive windings, hence the tesla high voltage transformer. Naturally this would kill a normal motor and be completely impractical, but would this be theoretically possible? Just musing.

Scott Bogard.