Re: [TCML] Transformer

David Rieben wrote:

Hi Rob,

I don't mean to be a "wet blanket" to your enthusiasm
over building a major league sized high powered Tesla
coil withe that x-ray transformer (from what you wrote
I assume that you are the purchaser of that unit), but
running a 50 kV primary circuit voltage coil will indeed
present some formitable challenges that are not typically
encountered with coils using more modest primary volt-
ages, say in the 10 to 20 kV range. Scot - aka bunnykiller,
can tell you first hand how much of a challenge voltage
standoff is in the primary tank circuit with just ~30 kV,
as he has piggy-backed two 14.4 kV pigs (pun intended)
in series inside a single pole transformer tank shell for a
30 kV+ power supply for his big coil - and I still can't till
this day figure out how he crammed (2) 10 kVA transfor-
mer cores inside that one modest sized tank and still have
room to place the top bonnet lid with the HV bushings on
it. :^? The point is, you will run into some serious corona
and voltage standoff issues, not to mention primary capa-
citor robustness issues when you start trying to drive a
primary tank circuit with voltages of that magnitude. I'm
not saying that it's impossible, by any means, but it will
likely present itself considerably more of a challenge than
you were anticipating, though! And I think that you will find
the collective opinion of this group on that issue pretty
much reflects what I've said here.

Since you've obviously already purchased this 50 kV,
400 mA unit, my suggestion would be to go ahead and
plan on using it for somehting like a Jacob's ladder, once
you've given it a nice tank of oil to run in. It was most
likley originally in an oil-filled tank and was removed
for ease of storage, shipment, ect,  but you will almost
certainly need to "repot" it if you intend to run it at its
nameplate voltage rating to prevent destructive flashover
of the high voltage windings. I use a nice sized x-ray
transformer to drive a wicked Jacob's ladder here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dLTEOM3qQc

As for a Tesla coil power supply transformer, I would
take Bunnykiller's advice and just try to obtain a stan-
dard 10 kVA, 14,400 - 120/240 volt single phase pole
mount "pole pig" distribution transformer for this purpose.
As he stated, D. C. Cox (aka- Dr. Resonance) often has
some used 10 kVA, 14.4 kV pole pigs that he gets from
various utility companies that he sales for around $200 ea.
+ freight S&H. If you have a truck and live within say
300 miles of his location (Baraboo, WI area) it may be
worth your while to make a day trip of it and go and
pick it up yourself.

Safe coiling,
David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Transformer

Thank you all for the advice. I did pick up that transformer for one reason I was in the town where it was located working today, so I saved on the shipping. I was also able to pick up a 15/60 NST also at a sigh shop for free. The only problem is, it is a gfi type. Can the gfi be removed? And can we work with that big xray tranny and make it work also. I don't mind a good complex challenge. If you all can stand holding my hand through it I' game to give it a go.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Rob
KI4HXT
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T