RE: [TCML] Line Filter Rating

Part of the problem is that the problem definition is not well understood - what is it exactly that we need to filter out?  What is the symptom of the problem?

Is it high voltage transients that may damage household appliances?  If so, is it a simple spike, or is it a HF burst?

Is it mainly the fundamental frequency, or is it higher frequency overtones?  Is the problem one of fearing damage to things, or is it interference with phones, TV, etc?

Another problem is that we have no way to measure the effectiveness of anything.  Given that we can't even agree on what the problem is, that's not surprising!  Just saying that I've used so-and-so and I've not smoked any appliances in all my years of coiling carries no weight in my book.

I put an EMI filter and ferrite EMI filter on my coil, only because it was easy and cheap to do so and it didn't harm performance.  There's no doubt that radio reception in my house is affected, and will likely be regardless of what I use, but I don't often listen to radio or watch TV while running my coil ;-)  I run my coil so infrequently that I'm not overly concerned with affecting neighbors.  If appliances and electronics died coincidentally with running my coil, I would probably take a closer look at transient filtering, but it's just not been a problem, so I'm content with the status quo.

Regard, Gary Lau
MA, USA