Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 10:51 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Line Filter Rating

Thank you Jim for a much-needed sanity check! There is an awful lot of advice out there suggesting that massive ground wires are needed, probably driven from a lower inductance (?) perspective than a current carrying one.

I'm curious about your report of killing an NST in a coil that was not properly grounded - I've not heard of such a failure mode before. It's clear that without a proper ground, that the RF return path will occur _through_ the NST and into the mains wiring. Do you know just what it was in the NST that failed? Primary to core insulation?

Commercial EMI filters are actually not very good at attenuating the relatively low resonant frequencies that most coils operate at. Their main application is to attenuate much higher frequencies. This isn't to say that EMI filters are worthless, as TC's generate a lot of harmonics; just not what many of us think they are.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA