Re: [TCML] pole pig minus case

No problem Neal,

You must of course ballast a pig or similar, but it is nothing more than a power supply. I've used my pig on small coils also. The real problem is being careless. With big power it's easy to allow too much current to flow. You have to control yourself with small coils and big supplies. That's the hard part since we all want to get every inch out of our sparks.

Bart

Neal Namowicz wrote:
Hello everyone,

This thread kind of reminds me of a question that's been bouncing around in my mind; I can see the limitations of using too small of a power supply on a larger coil. However, assuming that one is using a variac and/or adjustable ballast to control the output, is there any problem with using an overly large supply on smaller coils, as long as output is controlled? Hypothetically, could a smaller (2" secondary for example) coil be effectively run with a pig for example, without loss of performance? Yes, I know it's way overkill, but could it be done? Just wondering,

Neal.