[TCML] Lightning inside your garage

Please use caution and common sense when operating your coil inside buildings!

One has got to be absolutely insane to let power arcs hit walls and ceilings that are constructed with conventional materials such as wood, drywall and nails. If you are not able to fire up your coil outside; at least use a ground strike plate or grounded stinger! The walls in my lab are constructed from fire resistant Performwall (same as Rastra), rebar re-inforced and concrete filled with a grounded steel roof. Knowing that I wanted to run Zotzilla (5kva/12kv) http://www.audiotesla.org/images/Zotzilla%20Pictures/zotzilla%20web%20images/IMG_1303.JPG  inside on occasion, I mounted several grounded stingers made from steel brazing rod from the C-perlins and steel I-beam to protect the florescent lights and the roll-type insulation from lightning strikes!  http://www.drspark.org/images/bigsgtc/Dsc_0219.jpg  The sparks in the photo are over 10 feet in length, ceiling height is 20 feet. One can see the stingers hanging from the ceiling.

Please be careful with your coil and don't burn you house down! Nails through drywall are excellent strike points and are not grounded on the other end ! They are sharp on the pointed end and driven into wood. The sharp end can easily catch the structure on fire! Also note that if you're using a single-ended coil, use a good RF ground. There have been instances where arcing has occurred in the wall sockets and started a fire due to the ungrounded RF seeking a ground. The neutral and ground conductor of your wall socket should never be considered an adequate ground! Water pipes may not be properly grounded either due to the extensive use of plastic pipe today. I doesn't take long to install a dedicated ground for your system......do it!

Regards,
Woo

dr.hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"If you dare to dream it, build it!"