[TCML] poor coil performance again- help!

Hello,

I rewired my small coil to get this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/SAuuyEC3o6I/AAAAAAAAAXw/4l1Z3jR_wm8/s14
4/Tom_rewired_coil.JPG

(I am adding the JavaTC file below)

My NST is 6kV 50 mA

Primary is 8mm copper tubing, spacing (centre to centre) is 1.8 cm; inside
diameter is 11 cm, outside diameter is 30 cm, 5 turns (I am tapping at 2 or
2.5 or 3 or 3.5 turns) as per scope and calculation). I modified the spark
gap spacing, the spacing of the Terry Filter?

I am using a salt water bottles cap at 11.6 nF

Secondary is 3.2 uH with Diameter=70 mm, 480 turns, 15 turns/cm, 32 cm
height (AWG 22)

Top load is a cylinder 13 cm diameter, 18 cm high, 1 cm above end of
secondary

Secondary and Primary start at the same level ? JavaTC gives me a k=0.129

I have added a stationary spark gap

http://lh4.ggpht.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/SAuuyUC3o-I/AAAAAAAAAYQ/h8QQxf8Wvzo/Tom
_Spark_gap_on_PPE.JPG?imgmax=512

and a Terry filter (with adjustable number of MOVs ? I hope to get a bigger
NST one day!)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/SAuuyUC3o8I/AAAAAAAAAYA/ESiTnSNkQTg/Tom
_Adjustable_Terry_filter.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh4.ggpht.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/SAuuyUC3o9I/AAAAAAAAAYI/JXld0yjBiC4/Tom
_Adjustable_Terry_filter2.JPG?imgmax=512

I am using a counterpoise (aluminium foil about 8 cm below the
primary/secondary; radius about 60 cm or 2x height of coil). I have no RF
ground in this apartment!

but still get pathetic sparks! About 5 cm tops from top load to a
screwdriver I am holding above it.

On the other hand? I get massive corona on my saltwater bottles ? it is much
more spectacular than the coil! Here is a picture of my saltwater cap (off
power)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Thomas.Ryckmans/SAuuyEC3o7I/AAAAAAAAAX4/gCKeTU3n5ek/Tom
_saltwater_cap.JPG?imgmax=512

Quite ugly but I?d like to see the coil working before I invest in a MMC.

Could anyone help me nailing the issues with this coil?

Many thanks!

Thomas

J A V A T C version 11.7 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT

20 April 2008 22:44:40

Units = Centimeters

Ambient Temp = 20°C

Surrounding Inputs:

300 = Ground Plane Radius

300 = Wall Radius

300 = Ceiling Height

Secondary Coil Inputs:

Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LOADED

3.5 = Radius 1

3.5 = Radius 2

0 = Height 1

32 = Height 2

480 = Turns

22 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:

5.5 = Radius 1

15 = Radius 2

0 = Height 1

0 = Height 2

5 = Turns

0.8 = Wire Diameter

0.0116 = Primary Cap (uF)

50 = Total Lead Length

0.3 = Lead Diameter

Top Load Inputs:

Cylinder #1: diam=13, bottom_h=33, top_h=51, topload

Secondary Outputs:

830.58 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency

90 deg° = Angle of Secondary

32 cm = Length of Winding

15 cm = Turns Per Unit

0.02287 mm = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)

105.56 m = Length of Wire

4.57:1 = H/D Aspect Ratio

5.545 Ohms = DC Resistance

15344 Ohms = Reactance at Resonance

0.305 kg = Weight of Wire

2.94 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance

2.734 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance

3.166 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance

12.488 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance

11.405 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance

25.768 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance

0.0784 mm = Skin Depth

8.506 pF = Topload Effective Capacitance

48.8876 Ohms = Effective AC Resistance

314 = Q

Primary Outputs:

601.84 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency

27.54 % high = Percent Detuned

0 deg° = Angle of Primary

322.01 cm = Length of Wire

1.1 mOhms = DC Resistance

1.1 cm = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)

1.568 cm = Proximity between coils

0 cm = Recommended minimum proximity between coils

5.453 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance

0.00609 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)

0.576 µH = Lead Length Inductance

16.981 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance

0.129 k = Coupling Coefficient

0.125 k = Recommended Coupling Coefficient

7.75  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K

6.37 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Transformer Inputs:

0 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage

0 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage

0 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current

0 [Hz] = Mains Frequency

0 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage

0 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current

0 [ohms] = Measured Primary Resistance

0 [ohms] = Measured Secondary Resistance

Transformer Outputs:

0 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA

0 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence

0 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage

0 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Primary Current

0 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Secondary Current

0 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA

0 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size

0 [uF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size

0 [uF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size

0 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size

0 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap

0 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating

0 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy

0 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current

0 [cm] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance Research Corp. factors)

0 [amps] = Sec Base Current

Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:

0 = Number of Stationary Gaps

0 = Number of Rotating Electrodes

0 [rpm] = Disc RPM

0 = Rotating Electrode Diameter

0 = Stationary Electrode Diameter

0 = Rotating Path Diameter

Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:

0 = Presentations Per Revolution

0 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second

0 [kmh] = Rotational Speed

0 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate

0 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge

0 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction

0 [µs] = Electrode Mechanical Dwell Time

0 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires

0 [peak volts] = Effective Cap Voltage

0 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy

0 [rms volts] = Terminal Voltage

0 [power] = Energy Across Gap

0 [cm] = RSG Spark Length (using energy equation)

Static Spark Gap Inputs:

0 = Number of Electrodes

0 [cm] = Electrode Diameter

0 [cm] = Total Gap Spacing

Static Spark Gap Outputs:

0 [cm] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode

0 [peak volts] = Charging Voltage

0 [peak volts] = Arc Voltage

0 [volts] = Voltage Gradient at Electrode

0 [volts/cm] = Arc Voltage per unit

0 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires

0 [ms] = Time To Arc Voltage

0 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second

0 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy

0 [rms volts] = Terminal Voltage

0 [power] = Energy Across Gap

0 [cm] = Static Gap Spark Length (using energy equation)