Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Small coil results

David -

No mistake about the "conventional static spark gap". Per his description, Ben used 5 X 1/2" copper pipe sweat couplings to make a 4-segment static gap (total gap width was not mentioned).

So, 5,000 BPS with an RSG would have been at the upper end of the capability of conventional RSG design. 5,000 BPG with a copper-pipe static gap would be, well, incredible (as in not credible?).

 Regards,
 Scott Hanson

David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Yep, I've gotta agree with Scott on this one, too. 5,000 BPS seems EXREME
for a
standard SG driven coil. At 10,000 RPM, it would require 30 flying
electrodes to
on the rotary disc to achieve sufficient presentations to accomplish 5,000
BPS!
This would NOT be a trivial ARSG to construct for reliable operation. Are
you
sure that you didn't mean 500 BPS, which would be a much more reasonable
BPS goal range for a typical ARSG driven coil system?

Also, I wouldn't think that even the most robust, high rep rate pulse caps
withstand very much of a 5,000 BPS abuse without suffering a premature
death.

David Rieben

PS- Scott, I think you probably meant to say a "conventional rotary spark
gap" instead
of a "conventional static spark gap", as a static SG will only fire a BPS
rate that is mar-
ginally faster than the mains line frequency, depending on the size of the
tank cap
vs. the power rating of the transformer. 5,000 BPS SURE wouldn't be
accomplished
on a STATIC spark gap with standard 50 or 60 hz line frequency!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Helen Lo"
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:30 AM

Ben -

Exactly how did you measure the 5,000 BPS break rate? What type of test
equipment was used?

It would seem almost impossible that a conventional static spark gap
could fire and clear quickly enough to support 5,000 BPS.

Regards,
Scott Hanson

Ben Sneath wrote:
hello all, you might find this interesting,

Today i managed to get my small 1.75" coil working.
At first, i was getting 3-4" while driving it with a flyback
transformer/555/mosfet(IRF740) driver, then, not happy with
that, i connected this tiny little coil with only 10n tank
capacitance up to a twin mot stack. Thats where things got
loud. It threw white hot streamers straight into the
primary, a distance of about 10" or so (wasn't too worried
about it because i was using a practically indestructable
power supply and an indestructable tank cap).
The funny thing is the breakrate it was running at - 1 BPS
with flyback, FIVE THOUSAND BPS with the mot stack. Now it
may be a terrible waste of power, pumping 2kva into a 1.75"
coil, but, it finally made sparks.
anyways here are the specs:

Power:
unrectified 4kv mot pair, 2Kva