RE: [TCML] MMC for 4 mot SRGTC

Hi Gary, Kris,
     I use a sync gap on my 4-MOT coil.  I wish I didn't!  Granted I use a ballast, but my performance is limited to about 54 inches.  4 MOTs can do much better, I've seen it.  You would be better off to design yourself an asynch gap, and then the cap size really doesn't matter as much.  My understanding is that using sync gaps requires a properly sized cap for maximum performance, and my cap size was picked on faulty calculations, so lesson learned, it is best to just go asynch anyway.  I am in the process of designing an asynch gap, but it will be a long time until I can afford to build it with school expenses.  As for using .4117 uf for a cap, my guess is that would eventually destroy the secondary, but I really don't know (I have had burnouts with .075, let alone .4 or even .12).  Just a thought.  There are others with more experience that can probably comment on this.

Scott Bogard.