Re: [TCML] Dry Ice

Hi Frank,

Yes, I've played with dry ice on a few occasions, just not on top of a coil. There will be no additional C with the water (well, about 0.1pF which is pretty much zero).

Take care,
Bart

Frank wrote:
One thing you will find with dry ice is that it will freeze the water around it and will slowly encase the dry ice in a normal ice block shutting off the effect. You can slow this down by using hot water to start the effect. You will have more fog at first doing it this way.

Suggest you experiment with a metal and plastic bowl of water first to determine which will minimize the additional capacitance to the top load and give you the greatest spark.

If you have not played with dry ice before, handle it with heavy leather gloves, I found a good quality new, not oil stained, welder's gloves work best, as tongs tend to slip and drop the ice just when you do not want to!

Frank