Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:39:16 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Aluminium aka Aluminum Wire (fwd)

I goofed the link. Left out a "d" in "eddy". Here's the correct link.
http://www.eddy-current.com/condres.htm

BTW, I checked out MWS Wire Industries aluminum magnet wire. Looks like
resistivity is about 2.73e-8(ohms/m) as compared to copper at 1.707e-8
(ohms/m). So, the 1.6 times copper value holds for aluminum magnet wire.
And so, both DC and AC resistance will follow linearly in both cases
(and thus Q will follow).
http://www.mwswire.com/ecalum.htm

On a side note, solder does far better than I would have thought! Good
to know! Also interesting is the fact that silver is the best conductor,
but it's not that far ahead of copper. Pretty close actually!

Take care,
Bart"

	That link DID work OK and surprised at the extremes shown for Al alloys.  I'm trying to work up the ambition to measure the resistivity of the stuff I have.  I do have a milliohmmeter but I have to get it and the wire in the same place at the same time which means cleaning off the work bench a little bit better.  I know no one else has my problems of a perpetually cluttered bench!

Ed