RE: spark plugs for gap??? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:25:13 +0000
From: david baehr <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: spark plugs for gap??? (fwd)

yep, copper pipe gaps work great. Im using 1" dia pipes blown by two good
sized muff fans at up to 3kw. I can run this coil for extened periods with
little, if any reduced performance........my .02 $ ;-)> Date: Sun, 30 Sep
2007 09:47:42 -0600> From: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: spark plugs for gap??? (fwd)> > > ---------- Forwarded
message ----------> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:42:44 -0400> From: "Lau,
Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>> To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>> Subject: RE:
spark plugs for gap??? (fwd)> > Putting multiple spark gaps in parallel
won't work, as only the first> one to break down will conduct, and the
others won't do anything.> Running a gap in a pressurized chamber would
serve to increase the> breakdown voltage for a fixed gap width, or would
permit a narrower> width for a given breakdown voltage, which may reduce
losses. But the> down side is that in a closed environment, cooling
becomes a problem,> and providing airflow through the gap to aid quenching
becomes slightly> more complex. I think arcing in SF6 may produce toxic
by-products. I> do know that some commercial static spark gaps are filled
with hydrogen,> as that improves quenching. But in an amateur environment
such as ours,> I'm not sure that the hazard of a hydrogen leak and
explosion would be> worth the unproven benefit.> > In short, it's much
easier to just forget about using automotive spark> gaps in our
application. Just use relatively beefy electrodes that> don't tend to arc
in a small, fixed area, and use forced airflow.> > Regards, Gary Lau> MA,
USA> > > From: Chris Rutherford <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > To:
Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>> > Subject: Re: spark plugs for gap???
(fwd)> > > > What about putting the electrode side in a pressurised
chamber with> > something like SF6 or nitrogen and also putting about 4 or
so in> parallel so> > that no single spark plug takes the whole current?
How much would> changing> > the pressure and gas would allow you to adjust
the spark gap> > characteristics?> > > > Thanks> > > > Chris R> > >
your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!