Re: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:41:46 -0500
From: Scott Stephens <radon86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

> It has been known for longer than any of us have been around that the
> inductance of a solenoid is proportional to the number of turns,
> squared.  As the wire length is proportional to the number of turns, it
> follows that the inductance is also proportional to the wire length,
> squared.  Is this the extent of the point that you were trying to make?
> I see nothing new here and don't see the need to drag calculus and
> Poynting vectors into this.

It at least challenged me to look up the Poynting vector definition, and
see if it applies to non-propagating situations. After all, what's the
problem with such as the "cross-field antenna"?

I just love big, nasty, smelly, disgusting ugly can's-O-wormz nobody can
brilliantly dispatch at a lowly, technical level =D

Scott

> Gary Lau
> MA, USA

<snip>> Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:42 AM