Re: Aluminium Wire (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:22:15 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Aluminium Wire  (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
> [...]

Chris,

You can indeed buy aluminum magnet wire. However, its seldom found in
small quantities since its normally only used by transformer and ballast
manufacturers, loudspeaker, or disk drive manufacturers in order to save
(shave?) costs, reduce weight in aerospace applications, or reduce
inertia in moving coil systems. It's used extensively in 15-1500 KVA
dry-type transformers, but usually as rectangular paper or Nomex
insulated wire.

Since aluminum wire has less than 62% of the electrical conductivity of
copper wire, aluminum wire must either be significantly larger (~1.6x
the cross sectional area for the same DC resistance), or the maximum
current must be derated by a factor of ~0.62 when substituting it for
copper wire.

If you're willing to spring for a significant quantity, most large
magnet wire manufacturers produce it (Superior Essex, Rea, Alpha-Core,
etc.). Unless you know someone in an industry that uses the stuff, your
chances of finding a small quantity are slim to none - even on eBay.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured