Re: 2 stage TC possible? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:02:41 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2 stage TC possible? (fwd)

Hi Marko,

Well, yes and no. If you design for the hv tid bits and LC situation,
yes. Just to take any old coil and hook another to it, well there might
be instances but most of the time no.

Magnifier coils are 3 coil systems. The typical magnifier has it's
tertiary 3rd coil placed far out of spark range of the other two coils
which consist of usually a helical primary (a few turns) and a driver
coil (100 turns or more) of smaller gauge wire on a wide form. They are
directly connected by what is called a transmission line (a heavy
conductor are tubing connecting top of driver to base of 3rd coil).

There is also a 3 coil system where there are 3 coils inductively
coupled. The 3rd coil in that case is placed on and directly connected
to the driver coil. Easy to build but very difficult to get all 3 at the
same resonant frequency. Not a recommended approach unless your a gluten
for punishment. I've done this and it wasn't easy. But, it did allow for
a 9"x30" toroid to be run on a 4.5" little coil.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/hybrid/hybrid.html

In any system there are inductances and capacitances to account for.
Keeping the transformer resonant is the key no matter how many inductors
are used.

Take care,
Bart