Re: What is this place?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:55:33 -0400
From: Marko Ruban <Marko@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What is this place?? (fwd)

The comments in russian mention it is a "generator of Marx", located in
town of Istra, not far from Moscow.  Soviets loved to give names of
leaders to big projects.  Comments also mention that it is no longer
operational, but somewhat guarded, and they had to sneak in to take the
pictures.

Here's another mention of the same location:
http://www.proektstroy.ru/publications/publication.php?tag=4236&bigid=0

The article describes an "impulse generator" of 6-9 megavolts
constructed in 1976.  A large part of the text is about durability of
the fiberglass support columns, which were evaluated in 2001 along with
other structural components. The tower in picture is 39.3 meters.  The
tower has a toroidal metal top 3 meters high, and a vertical pipe in the
center for running a conductive cable off the tower.