Re: secondary frequency problem (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:22:29 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: secondary frequency problem (fwd)

Hi Ed,

Agreed. Not important for spark generation. It does give a sense of
secondary losses at fr if you are accustomed to looking at it. If not,
the value is meaningless. Because I run the program on so many coil
geometry's, it is a quick check for me. Something like this: "wow, Q is
oddly low. Ahh, look how high Rac is". That's about all I do with it.

Javatc calc's Q as Q = sqrt(Les/Ces)/Rac. The method used for Rac is
from a paper written by Fraga, Padros, and Chen "Practical Method and
Calculation of AC Resistance of Long Solenoids", IEEE Transactions on
Magnetics, Vol. 34, No. 1, January, 1998, pp. 205-212.

It's for long solenoids. So I grabbed over 140 actual Q measurements for
an empirical evaluation against Fraga's method and with a bit of work
figured out a factor to accommodate the huge discrepancies as h/d was
reduced. The factor used is 1+(spacing ratio/(h/d)). What I have
accounted for in that expression is turn to turn proximity and h/d. The
factor really helped bring the prediction close to real world
measurements. Although accuracy still reduces as h/d is decreased, the
factor improved the accuracy greatly.

But still, Q is mostly just an academic number for spark generating
Tesla Coils. But if you do see oddly low Q values, it is a little window
that maybe the designer might want to take a look at the secondary
losses. Granted secondary losses are negligible to other losses in the
system, but if were going to design coils, we might as well reduce as
many losses as we can identify.

Take care,
Bart