Re: Winding Lathe Construction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:25:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: C. Sibley <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Winding Lathe Construction (fwd)

Don't discount the possibility of using a hand crank.  I have wound all of
my coils up to 6" size with this method.  You would be very surprised at
the amount of control that a hand crank gives you over a motor dirven jig.
With a hand crank you can readily control tension and speed with the added
benefit of having direct feedback with both your "crank hand" and "wire
hand".  With a motor it is more difficult to fully sense what you are
doing, and it take much longer to stop the jig is you make a mistake.
Once you get "rolling" you can wind a coil in a very short time.  It's
inexpensive and very simple compared to an electric drive.

My jigs are usally 2x4s screwed together, with a piece of threased rod to
support the coil form.  I salvaged a nice crank form a piece of shop
equipment but you could easily fabricate one yourself.

Curt.

> From: Crispy <crispy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Winding Lathe Construction
>
> Hello,
> Does anyone have any good plans for building a simple, cheap lathe to
> wind a coil on a 6" PVC sewer pipe form?  I need to be able to buy
> everything online, including the motor.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?