motor speed sound (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:56:09 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: motor speed sound

Hey everybody,
     I have found a variable speed AC motor from a weed-whacker to someday
use for an ASRSG.  The problem is I have no idea what speed it runs at,
and I already threw out the weed-whacker corpse so I cannot look it up.
My question is, can I use my digital tuner (for music stuff) to "measure"
the pitch of the sound, and then convert that to frequency, and convert
that to RPM, or will this give an inaccurate estimate.  I haven't tried it
yet as I cannot find my tuner, but I will if it will be worth my effort.
It sounds like it spins about 3000 RPM which is kind of slow, but If I use
12 electrodes I could still get a decent BPS range.  Thanks, Scott Bogard.

Capture your memories in an online journal!