Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd) (Aluminum plate under coil. Does it waste power? No!) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:39:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oil insulated secondaries (fwd)  (Aluminum plate under coil.  Does
    it waste power?  No!) (fwd)

Sure.  I shouldn't have used such absolute terms;
there is almost certainly some loss, however with a
good conductor it ought to be fairly small.  Mainly, I
reject "OMG, this will suck up all your power!"
predictions.  Next time a friend fires up his big
coil, I'll bring along the 16"-diameter, 3/8" thick
end cap plate and we'll sit it under the primary.
I'll be impressed if it heats perceptibly even with
his coil pelting along at 7-10kVA.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE