Re: 4000 watt Audio Amp to drive Tesla coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:24:14 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 4000 watt Audio Amp to drive Tesla coil (fwd)

Hi DC, all,

While tearing off the HV windings of a 10 kVA pig and replacing
them with a few turns of heavy guage wire for a low voltage/
high current power supply is simple in principle, from the "guts" of
the pigs that I have seen, it appears that physically removing these
HV windings would be anything but simple with any tooling short
of a jackhammer! Another idea that comes to mind is taking
the transformer out of 225 amp stick welder and using it
as is with an appropriately rated variac to control the voltage
down to the desired 12 volts. I think most arc welders have
an output, loaded voltage in the 25 to 50 volt range. Of course,
many welders are only rated for their maximum output with a 10
to 20% duty cycle, so if you needed this kind of output for long
runs, this may prove a bit puny for the job.

David Rieben