Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 05:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

Agreed. That's why I said "theoretically". Even if my
100 amp fuses and my 100 amp breaker failed to protect
me, the power company's "ground hog" fuses would
likely blow. I'd expect something would give (ground
hog, pig, house) before reaching the theoretical
maximum current. However, I never run my pig
unballasted.

To the original poster:

I think most folks with pigs assumed when you stated
there was a "25" on your pig's side, you had a 25 kVA
pig. Is your pig (only the can, not including
bushings) on the order of 18" diameter and 32" tall?
Does it look like this:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/pig_14.4kV_25kVA_1.jpg

If so, doesn't it have a tag like this on the support
brackets:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/pig_14.4kV_25kVA_3.jpg

Also, do you run your with caps or your gap across the
pig HV input? Are you feeding it 240 volts or 120.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Adam