Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:52:38 EDT
From: CTCDW@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

Perhaps not ludicrous, but unless you know exactly what you are doing and
have equipment designed to handle the resulting current draw, dangerous. Wires
thumping around in the walls is not a good sign, and indicates a higher current
perhaps than they are rated to handle. We all love BIG arcs, but hit or miss
attempts with a pole transformer may end very badly. No one wants to hear
something horrible has happened, especially on this list. Whether or not a coil can
run without a ballast is irrelevant. Control of the power is vital, if not to
the coil's operation, to your safety. I would imagine that most everyone on
this list that has and runs large coils would put safety first. Just my two
cents.

Chris W