Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

"Ballast are bogus!!!" provokes a certain gut
reaction--alarm mostly.  However, I actually witnessed
just such a Tesla coil at the first-ever UK Teslathon
in Corby.  I don't remember the coiler's name, but he
used a hefty, un-ballasted  UK pole pig to drive an
ARSG coil.  The gap had two flying electrodes spinning
at perhaps 10,000RPM max.  The coiler claimed he could
control wallplug current by varying ARSG speed.  The
coil was an impressive performer.  No breakers
tripped, and no power cables smoked.  Runs were
lengthy and loud.  He was careful to spin up the RSG
first--before applying power to the pole transformer.
Likewise, he powered down the pig before turning off
the RSG.  I'm not advocating such a setup, and I have
no plans to run my pole pig sans ballast.  I'm just
pointing out that it's not as ludicrous as it sounds.

Greg