Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:23:37 -0500
From: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

Hey Rockin...

you must have some serious length of wire between the polepig and the
circuit breaker ( acting like a ballast or should I say a resistive
load) to keep your piggie from pulling the amps it can. I would
seriously consider looking at the wiring from the circuit breaker to the
dryer plug to see if it has melted the insulation. Piggies are notorious
for pulling hundreds of amps at 240VAC easily when the hi volt side is a
complete circuit. The Piggie system I run REQUIRES a ballast to run. If
I dont use one, the piggie blows the 70A breaker even when I just think
about turning on the coil :) ....

To be able to let us help you, let us know more about your system ...
things like how big your piggie is, the secondary dia. sizes, toroid
sizes, cap size
you know... the important stuff...   who knows, with the correct info
given to us we may be able to give some infoback to you so you may
increase your streamer length to 10' instead of 6'.

As far as using welders as ballast...   some have had wonderful results
in current control and others a smoking, stinking box of melted wire...

p.s.  the welder has something called a duty cycle  --  which equates to
a time on and a time off ( to cool off) , if you exceed the duty cycle,
the wires on the welder transformer become too hot to handle any further
load and the insulation melts and either arcs out or the windings short
to each other creating less and less of the needed turns to maintain the
proper voltage per turn ratio...

lets us know more about your coil, alot of us here want to see other
coilers improve the output of their coils....

Scot D